Reports to: Aquatics Director
Status: Non-Exempt, Part-Time
Pay Range: $15-$16/hour (lifeguard) and $14.50-$15.50 (swim instructor)
Position Summary: Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Conducts swim classes and lessons.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Conducts individual and group swim lessons.
- Engages parents in the achievements of their swimmers.
Attends all staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Click here to Apply!
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to work in a chlorine environment.
- Ability to work in high humidity.
- Ability to work in temperatures over 80 degrees.